Solar powered molecular virology testing lab for COVID-19, HIV, Malaria, Tuberculosis, etc.
Previous experience of responding to global epidemics and pandemics, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome, H1N1 pandemic, Middle East respiratory syndrome, and Ebola, has highlighted the need to reinforce national public health capabilities and infrastructures, including disease-surveillance systems and laboratory networks, as well as human capacity, such as training in surveillance, epidemic response, and diagnostic testing. While the World Health Organization (WHO) is supporting countries to improve their diagnostic capacities, those still remain limited by the shortage of personnel trained to run the tests, and the inadequate supply of testing kits.
While some countries are better equipped than others, most of the currently available testing facilities are located in urban areas with semi-urban and rural areas left with no means to test at all in the majority of cases. Wherever there is a shortage of diagnostic capacity for rapid testing for viruses, tests need to be done abroad, which critically increases the delay from identification of suspected cases to their confirmation and isolation, affecting possible disease transmission.
Based on previous projects in which Solarkiosk adapted its E-HUBB into medical health centers and test labs, Solarkiosk has now launched the first solar powered test laboratory with the target to improve the testing and diagnostic capacity in off-grid rural and/or semi-urban locations.
Solarkiosk has launched its first of a kind solar powered test laboratory with the target of offering a solution to tackle this deficiency and help to improve the testing capacity of diagnostic capacity.
- The lab enables the health personal to establish with 100% certainty if a patient has been infected with the COVID-19 virus, HIV, Malaria, Tuberculosis, Pulmonaryinfections, Hepatitis, Urinaryinfections , Otolaryngologyinfections (ENT), Diabetes, Nephroticsyndrome, etc..
- Based on SOLARKIOSK´s award winning solar powered “kit-of-parts” infrastructure solution, the E-HUBB, the air-conditioned lab can be deployed within a few days
- This air-conditioned lab is equipped with state of the art laboratory diagnostics, molecular medicine and digital health supplied by the German leading medical technology company Siemens Healthineers
- All appliances are solar powered with state-of-the-art storage by long life LiFePO4 batteries for night-time usage with a hybrid solar inverter & battery charging systems
- Hot water for hygiene will be procured by PV powered boilers
- The implementation package includes training of personnel of mobile laboratories on the basis of established standard procedures by the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- The lab can be deployed and operated within a few days, thanks to Solarkiosk´s “kit-of-parts” technology
Analytics appliances in the test lab:
- Molecular Biology Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) real-time analyser
- End-to-end blood gas solution for quality and blood integrity checks
- Haematology system offering fast, high-quality complete blood count testing
- Integrated chemistry system and immunoassay testing including critical cardiac assays and our automated-pre-treatment
- immunosuppressive drug assays
- Microbiological safety cabinets
Partners in the project: