Solarkiosk Solutions designs, develops, deploys and – together with our partners – operates turnkey solar solutions and business models for off-grid frontier markets worldwide.
Since 2011, Solarkiosk deployed over 250 solar powered kiosks (E-HUBBs) in frontier markets. Solarkiosk led operations in Ethiopia, Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana, Jordan, and Bangladesh. In total, Solarkiosk employed hundreds and served millions with solar products, solutions and services.
Our goal is to enable and empower rural communities worldwide. Our success is based on the award-winning E-HUBB, a multi-functional solar powered “business-in-a-box”. It can provide energy and connectivity for productive use powering mini-clinics, schools, offering water purification, internet cafés and a constant supply of electricity to local entrepreneurs acting as a B2B mini-grid.
Since 2019, Solarkiosk Solutions continues and expands the Solarkiosk legacy with paramount activities as a trading platform, a solar system integrator, a service provider and an incubator.
Solarkiosk developed solutions for the humanitarian sector, mainly solar powered medical clinics and schools in refugee camps. Solarkiosk worked with partners such as ABInBev, The Coca-Cola Company, MunichRe, Total, Siemens, Ericsson in incubating and piloting sustainable business solutions in frontier markets.
Mission, vision, strategy & values
design, develop, deploy and scale solar solutions intertwined with impactful business models for frontier markets.
become the leading provider of sustainable renewable energy solutions for frontier markets.
- Diversify product portfolio
- Grow worldwide distribution channels
- Catalyze strategic partnerships in renewable energy, connectivity, financial inclusion, health, education, agri-business, supply of sustainable products, and others
- Incubating, testing and deploying sustainable solar powered technologies and business solutions for frontier markets
- Localize production capacity
- Develop finance options through franchise/licensing and leasing model
- Sustainability – Whatever we do, we want it to persist by assuring environmental sustainability as well as inbuilt social and economic incentives to last.
Quality – We are devoted to the highest quality, because only quality products will assure a lasting impact.
- Flexibility – More than anything else, it is our customer’s need that determine the final solution.
- Integrity – No integrity, no deal! We follow complete transparency in all our steps and seek relationships with partners and customers at eye level. We are convinced that the necessary condition for long-term success is a win-win-situation on all levels.
Thomas Rieger is a certified quality manager and banker. He has more than 15 years of experience in the photovoltaic industry, including 10 years as a consultant in PV module production industry in China. “I love to facilitate change through innovation, to bring true impact and to help improving economic conditions and livelihoods. My passion is to identify amazing innovations, to create inclusive, sustainable business models around them and to bring those on the ground, fostering true change and improvement.”
Boris Civieta is an economist specializing in microfinance. He has worked as an Operations Manager in several microfinance banks throughout Latin America and Africa. In 2015 after working for a Swiss fund in Zurich, Boris joined SOLARKIOSK AG. He served as Head of Country Management at holding level and as Managing Director for the Tanzania and Kenya subsidiaries.
Andreas’ life as a lawyer and entrepreneur has been dedicated to Frontier Markets. Andreas has co-founded and shaped pioneering companies in the field of rural electrification in Sub-Saharan Africa. He is also co-founder and senior partner of a Berlin based law firm, specialized in start-ups, corporate and intellectual property law. Andreas was the co-founder and CEO of SOLARKIOSK from 2011 – 2019. His experience in rural electrification sector and last mile distribution in Africa was the basis for the critically acclaimed idea of SOLARKIOSK.